6.09.2015

on big brothers and ultrasounds

Right around when Josh and I decided we were ready to grow our family, Asher started talking about a "bebe sis-uh." Few of his friends had baby sisters, so he had little social context for his persistent assertion. Yet over and over, he would talk about this baby sister he was convinced he had. 

I listened to him and took him seriously. One of the key pillars of my faith's theology is the teaching that our spirits existed before mortality, that mortality begins when the spirit and body unite. So in more practical terms, I firmly believe that every child that will come to us already exists and is spiritually already a part of this family. So when Asher kept going on about a baby sister, I felt a sweet peace that perhaps he really did remember a little girl.

Though just because my two-and-a-half-year-old talks about a baby sister, doesn't mean that this baby will actually be that baby sister. So as we talked to Asher about the baby I tried to prep him for the possibility that this babe would be a brother. As far as my personal preferences went for this babe, I had none. Being a total boy mom would be so fun, but that "bebe sis-uh" would be equally delightful. I couldn't lose either way.

Yesterday morning before I headed off to my 20-week ultrasound (20 weeks already!), I asked Asher one more time, "So, is the baby a boy or a girl?" Asher gave me a look that said, Mom, how many times do I have to tell you? and stated matter-of-factly, "Girl."


Our ultrasound showed a blessedly healthy, growing, active little babe--and she's a girl. Asher will, indeed, be big brother to a "bebe sis-uh," and my heart is full and expanding to make room for both tractors and tea parties. Baby lady, we're so excited you're halfway here.

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

So happy for you! Tea parties and tractors. Perfect.

Sonia said...

So cool. So very happy for you, too. That's one of the things that made it so hard for me when I couldn't have any more after Kaili. For the longest time she kept asking me, every day, when she was going to have a baby brother. I finally told Heavenly Father that if it was His will that I was not to have anymore children, He had to stop her asking me that. She never asked again. I'm glad yours worked out differently. Definitely happy!!

All Fun Family said...

Yay!! How fun to have one of each! I must say I am partial to girls ;) I bet she'll be a beauty like her momma!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...