11.02.2009

No Turning Back Now

I was watching Nancy Drew last night, and there's a whole montage of Nancy's first days in her new school. She's clearly a star: she crafts woodwork masterpieces, out-runs all the competition in gym class, and eats a well-balanced lunch complete with a placemat. In one part of the montage, she recites the quadratic formula:
And while I recognized the formula and can even sing the song I was taught in pre-algebra, I don't think I could effectively or correctly apply the quadratic formula to save my life. I used to be able to integrate and derivate with the best of them, but now that I've completely forgotten how to use the quadratic formula, there's no turning back now. I'm officially a humanities girl, if I wasn't already.

6 comments:

Daniel said...

This post pains me greatly. There's still a chance! After all, if I occasionally read poetry, couldn't you make the effort to periodically derive some mathematical axioms?

michelle said...

You're not alone, Charlotte!

Karen said...

I agree with Dan. It mad me so sad to read this post. Do you know how cool the quadratic formula really is?! I could tell you, but I will spare you the details. Bring math back into your life!

Obviously, I am officially a math girl.

Jill said...

Quadratic what??

Denise said...

Ditto Jill. Sorry, Dan and Karen.

Diana said...

I remember the song too. I don't' remember what you use it for though...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...