6.15.2014

Twitterature: pre-summer reading

I have a summer reading list about 30 books long, so we'll see how far I actually make it this year. I'm pretty optimistic given that I'm one book away from meeting my annual goal(!). I've been reading some great books lately. Somehow when I read one good book it propels me into reading another and another until I'm finished with my challenge only six months into the year. And now I present Twitterature: the pre-summer reading edition.
 
Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing: A Modern Guide to Couture-Style Sewing Using Basic Vintage Techniques, by Gretchen Hirsch
4 stars, A great sewing reference, especially for vintage and tailored sewing. I'm eager to try out new techniques and vintage-inspired patterns. I especially love how Gertie embraces femininity. #sewingreading #femininityforever
 
5 stars, A wonderful reference to sewing with knits. I feel more confident in sewing with different fabrics and excited to explore the knit side of sewing--I may have converted to knits as a favorite medium! #sewingreading #knitnerd

4 stars, An enjoyable collection of memoir-esque essays about food and hospitality. I especially enjoyed her spiritual insights about food and why we gather. Her seeming constant calendar of dinner parties did leave this introvert feeling a bit exhausted, however #introvertlife #foodiememoir #iwantcakenow

5 stars, Must-read nonfiction. Louis's story is unbelievable and emotional and inspiring. This book is everything nonfiction should be: engaging, thought-provoking, detailed, inspiring. #lifechanger #WWIIbuff

All Clear, by Connie Willis
3 stars, An audio read, this book may be best listened to when you have a long stretch of time to listen. The conclusion to the book Blackout, we finally learn what happens to our favorite time-traveling historians. Once I got into the groove, I really enjoyed how everything resolved. #audiobooksforthewin #historicalscifi

Someday, Someday, Maybe, by Lauren Graham
4 stars, A surprisingly enjoyable read by my favorite Gilmore Girls star. Follows the life of a wannabe actress as she struggles to find herself in the acting industry in NYC. Maybe cliche, but unexpectedly endearing #beachread #chicklit

Claire of the Sea Light, by Edwidge Danticat
2 stars, A recommendation from a podcast, I was let down by this book. I didn't connect with the characters and was not-at-all invested in the story. A big letdown. #subpar #idontrecommendit

The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green
4.5 stars, A long overdue read, I finally succumbed to the hype. Not usually a fan of cancer books, I found myself engaged and involved the story. A story not about cancer but about two kids who happen to have cancer. Well worth your time. #tearjerker #YAlit #livesuptothehype

What have you been reading lately? Anything worth adding to my summer reading list? I'll be posting another Twitterature update at the end of the summer with reviews for all of my summer books!

I'm linking up to Modern Mrs. Darcy's monthly Twitterature post. If you haven't already, check out her blog. It's on my must-read-everyday list.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I keep putting off Fault In The Stars because I need privacy to cry :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...