11.30.2007

being a budget deputy

I'm enjoying working in the Physics Department so much more this year than last year (it's amazing to have a boss who actually likes you . . . unlike last year). I really like all the other student workers and one of the girls I work the most with is Brooke and we have a pretty fun time for the most part. We dubbed ourselves "budget deputies" because we're just that cool and we want to make badges and capes, but that's still a work-in-progress. I can't remember exactly how the term came about, but I think we were trying to find a description for what we actually do and 'budget assistant' didn't seem to cover it because really we only do budget-related things some of the time. Then it hit us: we are Budget Deputies--we have special skills and do whatever needs doing. We thought the term 'deputy' had more clout to it than 'assistant.' If you're unclear about what a budget deputy actually does, here are a few skills and duties to give you an idea.
  • run errands in the van
  • wash the dishes
  • organize the refridgerator
  • answer the phones
  • gas up the van
  • make donut runs to Ream's
  • bake brownies
  • eat sandwiches
  • clean up after parties
  • cater big blow-out Physics parties
  • pick up cookies for SPS meetings (Society for Physics Students aka Nerd Central)
  • organize plasticwear in the new rolling storage thing
  • balance plates and such when taking them down the hall to organize them
  • playing plate hockey down the hall when the aforementioned balancing doesn't work out so well
  • going down to the back with wheeling carts, meeting Nan (or whomever), and taking the merchandise back up to the Physics Department
  • running packages down to Mailing Services when it's too late to schedule a pick up
  • taste testing while on the clock (score!)
  • organizing Nan's desk on Fridays when she leaves early
  • putting up tacky Christmas decorations all around the Physics Department
  • file purchase orders occasionally
  • talk to Timm and Jessie when Nan tells me to (this one is a favorite even though it's only happened once or twice ;) )
  • oh yeah--keep the budget under control by entering purchase orders into the Budget Book, approving them, and a couple other things
  • keep the Physics and Astronomy Department exciting and fun with our vivacity
So, that's what a budget deputy does. Most of the time I like it; however, there are those days when I don't like it so much. Today has been an excellent day so far--we made a run to Ream's to use some coupons for free donuts, ate cake at a Physics birthday party, and did a little bit of budget stuff this morning. Not a bad Friday.

I mentioned this before, but I just have to say it again: I love the other student workers. We all get along really well and have fun doing the crazy things we have to do. On Wednesday, I was having kind of a rough/frustrating day at work and my feet hurt (probably because I was wearing my sexy toe-cleavage shoes . . . but they're so cute!!) and Nan was in a snippy mood. I was in a moment of exasperation when one of the workers (Sarah) came around the corner and said to me: "Oh Charlotte--you look so beautiful today!!" Talk about a tender mercy right when you need it--that pretty much made the rest of my afternoon and made the rest of the craziness more endurable. Also that afternoon as I was leaving, another student worker (John--he reminds me of my own little brother John--in a good way--and so I just really like physics-John for that reason) told me I reminded him of Nancy Drew with my red peacoat, big brown earrings, and chocolate patent leather headband; I love Nancy Drew!! That was most definitely an excellent thing for me to hear. :)

So while last year I complained about my job more often than not, this year that is not the case. Nan is an awesome boss (when she likes you) and I get paid $7.70 for doing the various duties mentioned above--not bad, eh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to join the ranks of the Budget Deputies! Make sure Nan knows that I accept her job offer!

jt said...

has nan really made emily an offer? I can so see her doing that- just a standing invitation. I'm glad you are finally liking that crazy job. I'm sure it is one that you will always remember- I never did get over my incredulity and... amusement of whatever tt was required to do for his 'job.' Not a bad deal. You'll know you've really made it if she starts buying you clothes and other personal effects. Although it might be best if she didn't.

jt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
michelle said...

I too remain incredulous about the jobs in that crazy Physics department! You've got a good thing going there. And being told you look like Nancy Drew? Awesome compliment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...