4.30.2008

okay, i overreacted

So, I overreacted to the prospect of new roommates. We have two new roommates, they're really nice and normal and I'm not feeling compelled to label the silverware. Their names are Emily and Jenika, who both just finished their freshman year. They're socially ept (which is a bit of a change from my last pair of roommates) and I don't think either pair of roommates cares enough to be best friends, but we'll definitely get along and not have major problems.

So, class yesterday was good. I'm going to give it a couple more class periods to officially decide whether or not I like it; the first day of class is always kind of blah because you just go over the syllabus and everything. With spring though, you go over the syllabus, and get started into the actual material. Last week, I got an email from my professor asking us to read 32 of Shakespeare's sonnets before class yesterday, because we need to hit the ground running. So yesterday was a weird conglomeration of boring syllabus talk and actual material. I have Shakespeare every Tuesday and Thursday for two and a half hours--that's a long time . . .

I just came back from editing and I'm actually really excited about it! The material is pretty compacted and the work load will be intense, but it will be good. This class focuses mainly on copyediting, and then the next class I'll be taking hones in on substantive editing. I'm feeling reinvigorated in my career choice as an editor, and I think I'll really learn a lot in this class. I had to buy $150 in books for this one class, but at least I'll be using them all. I have my first test beginning on Monday (?!@#%*@$) and hardcore intense from there on out.

Yesterday in general was just a weird day. The weather was weird (the impending storm feel without any actual storm or rain and it felt like the same time all day), campus was super quiet and empty, Provo in general is super quiet and empty, class was kind of weird, my schedule was kind of weird, and I basically felt like I was in a Twilight Zone episode all day (sans any extraterrestrials). Last night got better though: Katelyn and I went out to Guru's to eat (it's delicious), went to the gym to swim, went to Dairy Queen for Blizzards, and watched the pilot episode of "Prison Break." Last night though, it was unusually hot in the apartment, and we didn't really realize how hot it was until we were both awake at 2:30 in the morning mad because we couldn't sleep. It's been a long time since I haven't been able to sleep because it's too hot. Gross. Once I turned on the A/C and it cooled down a bit, I slept great; I was freezing when I had to get out of bed, but at least I slept soundly from 2:30 to 6:30.

4 comments:

April said...

That is why I LOVE provo in the spring and summer, it is sooo quite!!! And not too crowded, that is ofcourse until EFY hits campus-yuck!

Denise said...

I love your description about how the brewing storm made it feel like the "same time all day." At least you have A/C you can turn on when it gets too hot!

michelle said...

"socially ept" -- I love it!

Diana said...

Glad the roommates are better than you expected.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...