1.22.2012

ending a weekend

To lie or to lay? That is the question. One's grammatical reputation rests on this choice: when to lay and when to lie.

That's what my cocoa mug says. Josh's mug contains an explanation of pronouns. (Sometimes, though, I want the pronoun mug.) I'm sitting with my feet propped up in an apartment that is full of unfolded laundry, dirty cereal bowls, and folders of Primary lesson helps on the floor. I have half-finished knitting projects sitting on the kitchen table and one of two IKEA nightstands put together.And I'm thinking about the weekend I've had.

Yesterday was my first Saturday off work since November (excepting our trip to Colorado), and it was lovely. We went to the Living Room Theaters downtown, where you order lunch before the movie and they bring you your meal in the theater: The Adventures of Tin-Tin, big comfy chairs, deep cup holders, and a cheese-pesto panini--delightful. Then I spent a few minutes in Powell's stocking up on books to get me started on my 2012 reading. Right now, though, I'm rereading another favorite, These Is My Words, and I'm falling in love with it all over again. We had waffles for dinner and spent the whole evening in stretchy pants.

So it was a pretty good weekend. And we've had a pretty good weekend end, what with our grammar-conscious cocoa and everything. Instead of worrying about the mess and unfinished projects, I'm going to lie down on the couch after laying my computer on the floor.

2 comments:

A Mitton said...

I love everything about this post.

Also, I always remember the lie/lay rule with the beginning of this rhyme: Now I lay me down to sleep...

Don't know how I picked that one up, but it works.

Hannah Holt said...

I'm not going to lie. I prefer to lay.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...