3.14.2012

a midweek roast

I had this small roast sitting in the freezer, and when I say small, I mean that it was the perfect amount for two people. This morning I took it out to thaw, and even though I was tired and achy after work eight hours later, I browned this roast and put it in the oven for dinner.


I cooked and mashed some potatoes, peeled and steamed some carrots, and cut up some leftover French bread from spaghetti the other night. So for dinner on this otherwise ordinary Wednesday, we had pot roast and mashed potatoes.

Please don't think that we eat like this all the time. Trust me, if the roast hadn't already been thawed I would have called it a cold-cereal night all the way. But since I'd already taken the roast out, I thought I should follow through.


So, instead of wearing pearls while I put dinner together I wore polka-dot pajamas, and instead of pulling out pretty serving dishes for the potatoes and carrots, we just served ourselves out of the mixing bowl and stove pot. Dinner was the perfect mix of decadent comfort food and weeknight lazy. We ate roast, mashed potatoes, and gravy on plastic Target plates while watching Arrested Development reruns for the hundredth time--far from fancy, but oh so perfect.

For one final midweek treat, I took the liberty of whipping up our favorite pudding concoction while Josh went to Scouts.


I know I won't be able to get away with mashed potatoes out of the KitchenAid forever, and heaven forbid this child of mine grows up thinking that roast on a Wednesday is anything normal, but for just Josh and me right now, a Sunday dinner on not a Sunday is absolute perfection.

3 comments:

A Mitton said...

I love that Josh goes to Scouts.

Denise said...

I made our favorite pudding dessert on Monday! I was so tired tonight, too, but oddly found fulfillment in spending a couple of hours in the kitchen making a family favorite--encharitos.

michelle said...

Love it. I do this sometimes, too. One time I even made a turkey dinner for no reason at all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...