3.11.2008

self-created vacation

So, it's been longer between posts than I would have liked, but I'll skip the apologies because they're boring and it's my blog so I don't have to apologize if I don't want to. :) So, the biggest thing that happened with me last week was going home!! I thought that Emily's musical ("Brigadoon") was excuse enough to go home for a few days, and it was so worth it! I flew out Thursday night and got to spend 3 days at home, flying back into Salt Lake late Sunday night. Pretty much it was amazing and I loved every minute. I brought my camera with me, intent on documenting my self-created vacation through photo, and then I realized that I left my memory card in my printer in Provo. So, no pictures. My words will have to suffice.

So . . .

Friday, I spent most of the day with my mom and grandma. We went to Target and had fun watching Gilmore Girls and making homemade Oreos (which are SO delicious!!). That night I went to Emily's show and it was SO good!! The performance overall was just really amazing; the chorus was strong, the dancing was cute, the songs sounded great, and the costumes were absolutely fabulous!! (Mom was the costume designer again and made it amazing!) Emily was in the chorus for the most part, but did a miraculous job as the dumped fiancee, Jane. She looked so pretty and I'm so proud! Also, one of the leads--the guy who played Charlie--was so incredibly dreamy. He made kilts look manly and I have the biggest crush on him (as does every other female who has seen the show)!

Saturday was a day more devoted to seeing friends. I had about four or five people wanting to hang out with me in the three days I was home, and so I thought I'd consolidate that and have a few people over on Saturday afternoon when Mom and Emily were at the matinee and Dad was out doing stuff all afternoon. So, I had my friends Rachelle, Cheyne, and Tori over to play some Guitar Hero and DDR (including a Disney version of DDR--so cool!). So, that was a good opportunity to see friends and have a good time, without anything really encroaching on my family time :) That night, Mom and Dad were both at the musical, so John, Sarah, and our next door neighbor (a.k.a. my surrogate brother) Nick had the night to ourselves. We ended up ordering Dominoes pizza and watching "The Incredibles." It was a great opportunity to spend some quality time with just my little siblings--we had lots of fun!

The time change really threw me off on Sunday. I hate losing an hour. Anyway, we all went to church in the morning, came back, took naps, and then headed off to Grandma and Grandpa's for dinner. I knew that this weekend was a crazy and tiring weekend for everybody, and so I didn't really want anyone to go all out for the big Sunday dinner; what was important to me was just spending time with my family. However, Mom and Grandma pulled off the traditional Sunday dinner of roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, carrots, popovers, and Boston Cream Pie. Mmmm!!!! After dinner, I had to head out to the airport, which was not exactly something I was looking forward to, but the goodbyes weren't nearly as bad as they were last time I left home, and you'll all be glad to know that I haven't imploded into a vat of boiling, homesick tears, but rather I'm functioning quite normally. :)

So, the weekend was basically amazing; it was a needed break, and it was just so great to spend time with my family, and to see Emily in her musical. I love feeling so connected with my family, and I love that I love to spend time with them.

4 comments:

Jill said...

I know I say this every time, but I can't stop myself. You are SO LUCKY that you get to go home for little breaks like this and for holidays. I seriously only got to go home for Christmas when I was at BYU, so there was no regrouping with friends and family for me. The value of being able to go home and spend that time with the people who make you YOU is unmeasurable. What a blessing!

Diana said...

I am so happy that you got to go home. Wow what a lucky girl you are. Like Jill i was lucky to get home for Christmas. although Florida wasn't home it would've been nice to see my family more.
Your dinner sounds so delicious I miss big Sunday meals.
Good job not being too homesick this time around.

michelle said...

That sounds like the perfect weekend to me! I don't know how your mom does it with the costuming, she is seriously some kind of genius. (mad, insanely busy genius during play time, I'm sure...)

There is just nothing that compares with regrouping with family -- and we do have the best family, if I do say so myself! Glad there was no homesick implosion this time.

April said...

It was sooo good to see you last weekend!! I know your family was super excitied to have you visit. I have to tell you a cute story about Sarah. When I took her to her dance class on monday, before you came, all she could talk about was how excitied she was that you were coming home!!! We all love you here in colorado and I am so glad that the adjustment back into the school groove was not as difficult as last time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...