12.13.2009

comments about a December Sunday

When I came to BYU I quickly realized that everyone could do everything that I could do, and they could do it better. And I don't say that in a self-deprecating way--that's just how things are here. I could easily go through an entire school year without many people knowing that I play the violin; whereas in our home ward, Emily and I are called upon frequently for accompaniment and solo/duets--everyone knows we play instruments.

Last minute, I was asked to participate in a musical number for our ward Christmas musical program today, and while my violin skills are often "hidden under a bushel" here at the Y, I gladly accepted, because I really do love to play. When I arrived at church--a little early to find a place to set my violin--I found myself one of six violinists performing during sacrament meeting (other pieces besides mine).

Yes, I love playing my violin--I really do. But seeing all those violin cases lined up on the front pew made me laugh and shake my head a bit. Yes, I am indeed in a BYU student ward. The bench proves it.

In other December Sunday observations, snow accumulated over the past week combined with rain from yesterday and today combined with three-inch black patent-leather sqaure-toe chunky-heeled pumps makes for the worst walk to church ever.

3 comments:

michelle said...

That is so, so true, Charlotte. I remember having that same realization when I got to BYU as well. You have to have a strong sense of self to not be threatened by all of those talented, smart, beautiful people!

Good thing you can stand with the best of them. I'm glad you got a chance to share your talents.

michelle said...

p.s. I really want to see you and Em, but we have all had the stomach flu! Not the kind of thing you want to share...

Jill said...

I know exactly what you mean and think it's crazy that everyone there is so smart and talented. I did not bring any musical skills to the university when I was there, and yes, I did experience some feelings of underachieving!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...