7.13.2010

Operation Superhuman Reader: Summer Book Club

Emily McB started a summer book club with a few of her friends, and I was lucky enough to be invited! This is the first book we read. I won't be around for the third, but the second is up in a couple of weeks.

RebeccaRebecca by Daphne du Maurier

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I read this for a summer book club, and probably wouldn't have thought to read it otherwise. I was really glad to read it and then be able to talk about it with others. I didn't really like any of the characters except one (and he's not even a main character), but the mystery of Manderly and Rebecca kept me reading. The story follows an unnamed narrator as she marries a widower and deals with the aftermath of Rebecca's death. I was pretty frustrated with the narrator's insecurities and with her husband, Maxim's, closed off nature. It all made more sense at the end, but the ending itself is a little disturbing.

I'd recommend this book most for a book club read, because I don't think that I would have enjoyed it enough on my own.

View all my reviews >>

3 comments:

Miranda said...

When I read Rebecca, I had already seen the 1940 movie so it was REALLY hard for me to stay engaged because I knew exactly what was going to happen. Although it was interesting to see how closely the movie followed the book, exact dialog in many places. And the small changes at the end of the movie were interesting too.

Jill said...

I haven't read this book but am so curious about it because it seems to get such mixed reviews.

DeeAnn said...

I haven't read the book, but loved the 1940 movie. I also believe that someone else wrote a sequel called Mrs. DeWinter, but I haven't read it yet. Give the movie a try sometime. Watch it on a dark, stormy day for the right mood.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding as well. I don't know if you remember me, but I was in your ward about 11 years ago. Your mom did a wonderful wedding shower for me. I just love the Woods and Petersens! I so enjoy your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...