6.01.2011

loving on nonfiction

Remember my nonfiction realization back in 2009? I had never been taught to appreciate nonfiction as cultural or literary. Since graduating, though, I've gravitated more toward nonfiction media, and I'm liking this extension in my media choices.

I've read more nonfiction books like this one, this one, and this one, and I am currently in the middle of this one. Josh and I love to watch earth-based documentary series together like Planet Earth and Blue Planet. We've learned about the different ecosystems in our oceans and recently watched a fascinating documentary on the colossal squid and the squid invasion in our oceans.

And to top off all that nonfiction my friend Laura recently introduced me to some delightful podcasts, my favorite being Stuff You Should Know. Thanks to the delightfully engaging hosts, Josh and Chuck, just in the past two weeks I've learned about grassoline, lame duck presidents, altruism, Nazi war criminals, sympathy pregnancy, antibacterial soap, human survival biology, crime-scene clean-up, crime-scene photography, how mirrors work, octopuses (yes, octopuses), tone deafness, jealousy, innovation, kissing, migraines, the mystery surrounding Amelia Erhart, homelessness, acupuncture, volcanoes, the world's deadliest animal, fossils, igloos, traffic, Munchausen Syndrome, the Scooby-Doo phenomenon, tickling, and decapitation.

After college graduation I used to wonder if I'd seek out learning anymore. I mean, it was handed to me for almost 20 years, and whenever I was on break, I vegged and indulged in all things fiction. I can't tell you how glad I am to know that just because I'm not in school that doesn't mean that my brain shuts down. I am just loving nonfiction media right now. For all of you who think that learning has to stop after school, you are oh so very wrong. And you should be glad to be wrong. So, so glad.

5 comments:

Jill said...

It would be so frightening if we stopped learning after we finished going through school! I feel like I learn things every day!

Claire said...

Planet Earth is so much fun to watch! I'm glad that you enjoy it. Maybe we can arrange a long distance marathon of Planet Earth and kitchen dancing to David Archuleta....

A Mitton said...

A few (long) things:

1. I think sympathy pregnancy is fascinating. Just had to mention that.

2. You know Laura Thomas? I LOVE Laura Thomas! Some day I'll have to tell you all the strange connections we have.

3. I've been really enjoying nonfiction a lot lately as well. So, a few recommendations for you: Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. It's about a man named Deo who survived the genocides in Burundi and Rwanda, managed to make it to the United States and finish med school at Columbia, and then return to Burundi to start a non-profit called Village Health Works. Amazing story.

Also, because I know you like words, I'm in the middle of The Lexicographer's Dilemma right now, which is super interesting. All about how English has evolved, specifically focusing on people who have tried to define it (Samuel Johnson's dictionary, the 18th century grammarians, Noah Webster, etc.). I also love anything and everything David Crystal writes about linguistics.

michelle said...

I had an epiphany about nonfiction, as well. I am totally going to check out that podcast! Sounds fascinating.

I am so glad that we never have to stop learning. Self-directed learning is my favorite kind.

Denise said...

Emily and I just listened to the one about decapitation! I like the hosts--Emily says one of the hosts reminds her of your Josh!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...