10.11.2012

OSR: May through September 2012, a.k.a many, many book reviews

It has been a long time since I've posted any book reviews. Even despite having a newborn around, though, I've somehow managed to stay on track for my 2012 reading goal.

Before we dive into book reviews, however, I'd like to announce the October scary book (never mind that we're already ten days into the month). If you'd like to join me in reading a scary book in October, go to your library and pick up The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. The October scary book is in its third year, and it's one of my favorite traditions. If you decide to join in, please let me know!

Now for the reviews. If you actually make it through all of these, serious kudos.

***

RecapitulationRecapitulation by Wallace Stegner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I give this three stars only because Stegner's writing is excellent; the story I didn't care for. I found the plot a little indulgent, the main character too stagnant. I can appreciate nostalgic writing, but not when it takes the place of the character moving forward in his own present. I was looking forward to reading another of Stegner's work, because I so enjoyed Angle of Repose, but Recapitulation was a letdown.

Edenbrooke
Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My expectations for this book were not especially high; in fact, when I picked it up in my breakroom at work, I expected to maybe make it a few pages in. I was pleasantly surprised, however, and ended up checking it out from the employee library. The writing was decent, the characters likeable and developed, and the plot enjoyable albeit predictable.

I'd definitely categorize this book under "chick-lit"; it's an easy read that's still enjoyable, a romance that doesn't titillate as much as it entertains. I read most of this book on the Oregon coast, and it was quintessential beach material. Don't expect Jane Austen, but do enjoy what Edenbrooke has to offer.

RoomRoom by Emma Donoghue
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Four stars seems too few but I didn't love it enough to give it five stars, so let's call it four-and-a-half.

I've read few books as unique and compelling as Room--think reading-in-the-check-out-line kind of compelling. I was impressed by how deftly the author told such an intense story in such an innocent way. With five-year-old Jack as the narrator I got the full and thorough story but without any graphic details.

This was a remarkable story about love and survival, acceptance and home.

The Winds and the Waves (Come to Zion, #1)The Winds and the Waves by Dean Hughes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really liked Hughes's Children of the Promise books, and so I was excited to read the first book of his newest series. The parallel stories are well woven, and the characters are likeable and relateable. Sometimes Hughes leans toward the didactic side, but not often. I don't know much about the LDS Saints who came across from England, and this book gave me good insight into that piece of history. I'm looking forward to Hughes's next installment.

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

June 2012: I was needing an engaging and familiar read for a flight, and on a whim grabbed this from the bookshelf on my way out to the airport. I'm again impressed by the character development and the strength of the plot. This was a great reread.




The Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying BirthThe Birth Book: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Safe and Satisfying Birth by William Sears
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What I liked most about this book was that the authors didn't have an agenda. Birthing options are loaded topic, and I left feeling informed rather than mauled. I appreciated that this book didn't try to tell me that I'm a bad mom if I opt for an epidural, and I liked the purpose the book had of actually informing mothers about birth, birth options, and the birthing process. I feel much more ready for labor after reading this.

A Separate PeaceA Separate Peace by John Knowles
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I found this novel compelling in a simple way. The plot is simple but the emotions and relationships in it are not. A Separate Peace made me think, and I liked that.





Sense and SensibilitySense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'd never actually read Sense and Sensibility before, and I'm so glad I took the time to now. I love the relationship between Elinor and Marianne and the simple, yet intriguing, plot. I kind of wanted Elinor instead of Marianne to wind up with Colonel Brandon; regardless, I enjoyed the plot, characters, and humor. I figure you can't really go wrong with Jane Austen, right?


So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding GuideSo That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide by Janet Tamaro
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was a book recommended to me by a couple of different friends. For a new mother, this book covers everything: why breastfeed, the advantages and importance of breastfeeding, starting to breastfeed, dealing with minor problems to more serious ones, and handling the life adjustments that come with nursing a newborn.

While at times I felt overwhelmed by what I learned, I feel much more prepared for nursing after reading this. I'd recommend this book to any mother new to breastfeeding. It's one of the best books I've read to get ready for this babe!

On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime SleepOn Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep by Gary Ezzo
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Let me start off by saying that regardless of the book, I take all parenting literature with a grain of salt. Parenting is a hot-button issue, and the theories villify each other. I've read up a bit on a couple of them, and I pick and choose aspects that I like and that will apply to me and my child. I don't believe that following one particular philosophy to the letter will guarantee my child's success or failure.

I really liked many aspects of the Babywise approach to parenting. I like routines, and I like knowing what to expect out of my days. I think that I will be able to parent most effectively if I can figure out a routine for my babe and me. That's not to say, however, that I can't be flexible when needed, because my baby's well-being is more important to me than a schedule.

Especially since my baby has already started to establish his own rough schedule, I really feel that if we both know what to expect from the basic structure of our days then we'll both be the better for it.

When it comes to parenting philosophies like Babywise, I think that for some parents and children, the schedule will really produce great results. Not every approach, however, will work for every parent-child combo. Parenting is personal, and I thought that some of the criticism Babywise offered on other parenting paradigms was unfair.

Here's the thing: you're the parent, so do what feels right for your family. What works for one family might not work for another. For me, many aspects of the Babywise approach were appealing and made sense to me.

Since You Went Away (Children of the Promise, #2)Since You Went Away by Dean Hughes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm rereading this series for the first time, and I've been enjoying it. LDS fiction is usually not my thing, but I do really enjoy this series. The characters are interesting, albeit sometimes stereotypical, and the view they give to WWII is informative and compelling.



The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age TwoThe Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two by William Sears
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Let me start off by saying that regardless of the book, I take all parenting literature with a grain of salt. Parenting is a hot-button issue, and the theories villify each other. I've read up a bit on a couple of them, and I pick and choose aspects that I like and that will apply to me and my child. I don't believe that following one particular philosophy to the letter will guarantee my child's success or failure.

I really liked the Searses' Birth Book, and so I had high hopes for their baby book. For some things it's a good reference, but I found that I didn't connect so much with the attachment parenting this book promotes.

I like the theory behind attachment parenting that encourages establishing trust with your infant, but I don't think that attachment parenting is the only way to do that. As with other parenting books I've read, I take out the elements I like and disregard what I don't feel comfortable with.


I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a WomanI Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Meh. Nora is a good writer, and that's what she had going for her in these essays more than the topics. I'd like to read one of her other essay compilations that focuses on a different subject.

View all my reviews

2 comments:

Daniel said...

For the record, A Separate Peace is one of my all time favorites from high school. It was the first time I was reading a book and actually connected with a character and felt like I learned something. I reread it every five years or so just to remind myself.

michelle said...

I love your book reviews.

Interesting, I liked The Baby Book better than Baby Wise. Never heard of that book on breast feeding.

Crossing to Safety is my second favorite Stegner book. I don't think anything compares to Angle of Repose.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...