2.18.2013

if only the public cared more about usage

Over the weekend I was checking out at Joann's, and I saw this sign posted on all of the registers:

Cash and credit/debit cards must be used only for purchasing gift cards.

Naturally I was perplexed. Because what this sign says is that you can't use cash or debit cards for anything besides gift cards; the only thing you can buy with cash or a debit card is a gift card. That's what it says. And I believed it. When I asked the cashier about the reason behind this new policy, she looked at me like I was the one who misunderstood the use of only

What the signs should have said was this: 

Gift cards can only be purchased with cash or credit/debit cards.

Obviously.

3 comments:

A Mitton said...

hahaha.

Next time I'm in town make sure I tell you Dr. Oaks's "stamps or ice" story.

Marianne said...

I am rolling my eyes and sighing right now. Grammar and spelling are becoming obsolete. I do not need to tell you how many posts on Facebook are run-on sentences with no capital letters or punctuation. I get so tired of trying to decipher what people are saying! The school teacher in me just weeps.

Jill said...

Seriously?! It's disturbing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...