10.03.2007

Happily on the Treadmill

So the title of this post has a few applications to my life right now. Probably the obvious one is that yes, I do run on the treadmill. About a month ago Katelyn and I joined 24 Hour Fitness gym and we've been going diligently 3-4 times a week to work out. As a part of our initial sign up fees, we got 5 sessions with a trainer which is proving to actually be really helpful. We know what exercises to do to tone and such and we know how to use the machines. The training sessions can be a bit awkward, but if you can look past that and not be self conscious it's not so bad. So 3 times a week we head to the gym and lift weights, do ab work, and run. It feels really good actually to be getting into shape and going to the gym gives me an opportunity to cool down and relieve a bit of stress. It's like the sweat on my face and in my hair is the unnecessary stress finally leaving for a bit (okay, so gross analogy, but you get it). I stopped running a couple months into the summer and so I was pleasantly surprised that when I started it up again I was still able to run for extended amounts of time--I guess my body doesn't atrophy as quickly as I thought! Last night I even ran for 20 minutes straight which I've never done before! I think I owe that to the notes I was studying that covered the timer. I'm going to take notes with me to the gym all the time now I think--last night's run was one of the easiest I've had!

In the other sense of "on the treadmill," school is kicking my trash this semester. I'm always busy (and I always feel dumb saying that because seriously what college student isn't busy?? but there you have it) and especially these past couple of weeks I've felt like I'm on the treadmill and it's going so fast and I can hardly keep up but I have to, otherwise I'll fall off and possibly break a limb. I think after I make it through this week I'll have a slight respite for a week or two; I have three midterms this weekend, two of which are pretty big and I have to study like crazy. I have my bio midterm next week, but I'm not nearly as worried about that one as I am for the three coming up. One of them--my usage exam--is in class on Friday, so that will be nice to have that done and I'd like to take my British Lit midterm tomorrow, but I'm thinking I'll put it off until Friday evening because I just don't have time to study everything. AH! Anyway, enough complaining; the point I want to make with my post title is that I am on a constant treadmill, but life is good and I'm enjoying it!


Here are a few other funny bits about my life of late that you'll hopefully find a bit humorous:
  • The football jock in my biology group voiced the concern: "Wait--we have to go to lecture to do well??" and he was serious . . .
  • I was asked out by a random guy with a note. He waited for me to leave my study spot at the top of the JFSB and got into the elevator with me and as I was leaving, handed me a note with his number on it and a quickly jotted note. Out of curiosity I texted him later and I think we're having ice cream on campus sometime this week. We'll see . . . he could be a creeper, but it's a good story anyway.
  • On Monday at a physics birthday party, after the candles were blown out, one of the professors started talking about how it's magnesium that makes trick candles work and then another professor excitedly pipes up and exclaims "Magnesium?! That's my favorite metal!!" Only in the physics department . . .

8 comments:

jt said...

okay, that last one has me laughing out loud. I want to find a way to use that in an everyday conversation, but it may take some staging...
you have to tell me how the date goes with the mute.
you look beautiful, as always!

Anonymous said...

Only in the Physics Department, indeed! That one has me laughing. I'm so impressed with your workout schedule--wish I could get there myself. Love the picture of you! Love YOU!

Jill said...

Your last 3 tidbits are all amusing. I hope the guy is a keeper and not a creeper. I never got asked out like that when I was there, my whole BYU dating experience was a mockery that I'm still not over. So sad.

Hang tough with the life treadmill you're on, it's a good thing you're in shape eh?

You need to email your new address so I can update it on the good mail list. stuart_jill@hotmail.com

Diana said...

I just love your posts. I can picture all of us during a commerical watching Lost talking about these things.
When do you go to the gym, I have a pass to 24 hours if you and Kaitlin go in the evenings let me know I'd love to go with you. It's always more motivating to go with a friend. (If you don't mind an old married lady going with you)

Unknown said...

That would be sweet if you came with us Diana!! I'll let you know when we go. Can you email me your phone number?? I'm not sure if I have it.

Melissa Marilyn said...

I'm so glad that you finally posted on your blog! Good luck with the date. . .hmm? He could be really great?!?

Magnesium huh? You need cooler friends. Of course, that probably counts me out. I laughed out loud at that fun fact. Did you love Conference today? I felt even more uplifted than usual.

You can handle the treadmill of life. Just remember that a treadmill is potentially moving forward and is positive, whereas you could be on a hamster wheel-running faster and faster and going nowhere. Plus, you would be a rodent!

Love you!

michelle said...

Hee! I got a chuckle out of Melissa's comment -- yes, a treadmill is infinitely preferable to a hamster wheel!

I loved it when I belonged to a gym and went regularly. It is definitely therapeutic to get in there and work hard.

Magnesium is my favorite metal -- now that is classic.

Robin said...

I totally need to rekindle some love with a treadmill. Yikes. Kudos to you for being so dedicated to the gym! I'm hoping to get back in the groove this week - it just needs to happen!

And your posts always crack me up. We need to hang out sometime! Which apartments are you living in this year??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...