9.05.2008

new level of shallow

Yesterday, I went for a run for the first time in a long time. It was kind of hard, but overall, very satisfying. Afterwards, I was sweaty and gross, and spontaneously decided to go to with my roommates to the complex hot tub. It was kind of fun putting on my swimsuit and strolling on over to the pool area for a bit of hot tub relaxation before I had to bunker down and complete some homework. There were several people already in the hot tub, but I didn't really think anything of it, seeing it as maybe an opportunity to just meet more people.

Boy, was I disappointed.

These people were ridiculous. I sat on the other side of the hot tub where it wasn't so crowded, and so I wasn't by my roommates. I didn't think this would be a big deal, because you know, people, in general, are friendly around here. Nope. Not one person even acknowledged my presence, and one of the boys there, I'd even met! There was this one girl in the hot tub who didn't even live in the complex who was doing everything she could to keep everyone's attention on her. It was ridiculous. (She even complained once that people always think that she's younger than she is, but my reaction was, "Well, stop acting like a sixteen-year-old and people will believe you're twenty.")

Not that I need attention whenever I enter a social setting, but I do think it's common courtesy to simply be friendly and acknowledge people, even if you're already in the middle of a conversation. My roommate Katie was interrogated about her major and overall life plans by another guy in the hot tub, (he was asking rude, attacking questions like, "Well, what if you don't get into the master's program?" and "Why in the world do you study English?"), and basically no one talked to us the entire time we were there. Katie and I both felt that our IQs dropped by at least ten points after being around those people. I mean, they were discussing the attractiveness of tattoos and how funny it would be if one of the girls lived in an apartment with the boys. Seriously?

After about ten or fifteen minutes of this hardly durable moron-fest, Katie and I left, appalled at that new level of shallow.

I like having a hot tub so close and all, but if these are the kind of people I have to be around to enjoy the hot tub, I'm out.

6 comments:

Katelyn Ann(e) said...

maybe they were suffering from heat stroke...pretty sure my nursing book mentioned something about losing a sense of self respect...i would have talked to you :0)

tbone said...

I just saw katie the other day at smiths! now I feel like I secretly stalk you both. jk, but i do feel bad that i didn't say hi...i was going to...and then i got scared. haha. isn't that weird? katie..one of the nicest people I know. anyways. yes. hot tubs are a breeding ground for lower forms of life. it's true.

Denise said...

A hot tub is not my favorite socializing spot, but then again, I am 24 years older and about 20 pounds heavier than you are. That is a little disappointing, however, to have encountered such rudeness in your very own complex's hot tub!

Btw, don't you mean "hunker" down, instead of "bunker" down?

April said...

Lol...Oh the joys of finding good conversation or even polite people in college....that is too funny. I would recommend the hot tub visits only when no one else is there... :)

michelle said...

Ew. Maybe try the hot tub at a different time of day!

Jill said...

I definitely don't miss the socializing aspect of my college days, especially settings like the one you're talking about here. I was ALWAYS invisible and could never figure out why (I was much cuter then). It's embarrassing to watch people flirt and show off and talk about things they are clueless about, I hated it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...