2.10.2009

my number one

Let me kick this post off with a recent anecdote: Yesterday was a rough day. That intense abdominal pain I had back over break returned, though thankfully not as bad as it was last time. But nevertheless, my stomach was hurting so bad I walked with a slight hunch. To try and mitigate the pain, I subconsciously tensed up my entire back, which made my back ache because it was so tight. By the time I was ready to leave campus, my stomach was hurting even more. Plus my book bag was way heavier than usual because of my computer. Plus it had started snowing. Plus I wasn't wearing comfortable shoes. Plus my umbrella was broken. The thought of walking all the way home--all the way across campus plus the four-ish blocks down 7th--filled me with absolute dread.

Then a thought came into my head--and I know it was the Spirit giving me a solution--that said, "Hey Charlotte, what about the physics van?" Sure I don't work in the physics department anymore, but I know people who do work there, and Emily was still there. So I called, and Emily answered, and I finally started to cry. She was able to drive me home. And then she picked up stuff for me and kept me company for a few minutes that night while I stayed curled up on the couch.

Emily is my number one pal. Without her here, I know this school year would not have been as good as it has been. We see each other a few times a week, and even if I'm not in such a hot mood, she doesn't care, because she'll spend time with me even when I'm not in a great socializing mood. If I'm blue, she understands; if she's blue, I understand; if we're both blue, at least we're blue together.



She's my best and all-time number one friend. I can't tell you how much it meant for me to have Emily drop everything and take me home from campus. She takes me out to lunch on her meal plan every Friday, and if a Friday doesn't work, she finds a way to reschedule. Her acute sense of fashion and style motivate me to make even the most casual of outfits trendy. She's interested in what I do and listens to my grammar tangents. She loves me for me and accepts every part of me. She is such a great example of service, love, and kindness. She makes Provo so much more of a home for me, when my real home is far away.

I love her. She's my number one.

10 comments:

michelle said...

What a sweet post, Charlotte. I love that you call her your number one. We all need a soft place to fall.

I'm concerned about your stomach pain, though.

Anonymous said...

I get that too!!! and it really stinks...but I'm glad that Emily was there to make you feel somewhat better :D But I hope you're feeling better today!!!!

Diana said...

Charlotte that is so sweet. I am sorry you had a crappy day and felt awful but oh nice to have your best friend/sister to be there for you.

brooketolman said...

Emily is the best...she always brightens my day when i see her at work!!

Denise said...

What a way to brighten a mother's day! I love it that you and Emily are such good and supportive friends to each other--it's a strength to our entire family.

Now if only John and Sarah would catch the vision. . . .

Marianne said...

Man I can't believe how gorgeous you girls are! You're always invited over to our house for lunch or whatever. We're so close to eachother, I'd love to see more of you...

April said...

Man, you and Emily get me every time...
I teared up reading this and thinking about how much I love and miss my own sister.
It is great to have them close by, enjoy every second, because it won't always be that way.
I am glad that you two are such great friends, I sure like you both a whole lot.

Paula said...

I always wished I had a sister - poor me :(

My daughters are my best friends now.

paws said...

"My daughters are my best friends now." Aw, that was so sweet! Sisters are the best (moms are, too, of course).

Susan said...

I think there are many people who adore Emily! I'm a big fan, personally.....of both of you!

From a Mother's view, there isn't much of anything that can speak to your heart, like your daughters loving each other like this.

I got a little tear in my eye......
oh well, carry on!

You two are the best! I love you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...