8.08.2009

Operation Superhuman Reader: Summer Book #10

All the Pretty Horses (Border Trilogy, Vol 1) All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy


My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Meh. I expected a lot from McCarthy, and I wasn't that impressed. Maybe it's my passion for punctuation, but McCarthy's serious lack of punctuation was frustrating for me; I thought it was a bit pretentious. Also, the frequent Spanish dialogue was aggravating; McCarthy seems to expect almost too much out of his readers. As a reader--and an avid one at that--I didn't feel like McCarthy cared if I was there, figuratively speaking (and maybe he's one of those writers who doesn't care). The story was okay but sometimes seemed a little cliche. The plot didn't impress me much.

I'm not going to write McCarthy off completely, but I found this book more on the frustrating end of literature.

View all my reviews >>

3 comments:

Jill said...

Your generous not to be writing him off after such a review!

Pamski said...

Tried to read it a long time ago...couldn't get thru it. Let me know if you read another of his that's any good.

michelle said...

I'm with Jill! I read this book back in about 1995 for a college class and have since sworn off McCarthy. I have been tempted a bit with his latest novels, but...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...