1.09.2010

Operation Superhuman Reader: 2-person Bookclub

A while ago Josh and I decided to read books together--yep, it's pretty cute. We're taking the tack of reading books that neither of us have read and reading books that one loves and the other hasn't yet read. We've read three so far; here are my reviews:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I'd heard of this book but never read it until now. I didn't really know what to expect, and I ended up quite enjoying this book. The writing is funny and clever, the story easy to follow yet engaging. This book is clearly a part of a series, so the resolution at the end of the story wasn't quite what I usually like at the end of a book. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an entertaining, quick read, one that I'd feel comfortable recommending.

View all my reviews >>

My Name Is Asher Lev My Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I re-read this book recently (probably for the third or fourth time) and loved it again, as usual, maybe even more than I did before. The emotions of the characters and plot are so real and intense, especially by the end. While not a Hasidic Jew myself or an artist, I felt that I could still understand and connect in a small way with Asher. This book makes you think about heritage versus yourself and your desires and loyalty and family and what it means to love and be loved. This is a book I find myself thinking about often, one that will stay with me forever.

View all my reviews >>

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) The Maze Runner by James Dashner


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book is a lot like The Hunger Games, but I liked Hunger Games better. The Maze Runner is a good book about survival, adventure, and solving a seemingly unsolvable puzzle. I liked how the end of the book had enough resolution while still setting you up for another book. I enjoyed the pace and the mystery of the book. It was an excellent read!

View all my reviews >>

Next on the docket: The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

8 comments:

michelle said...

This is just adorable, Charlotte.

EWilliams said...

I LOVE Douglas Adams! I'm on the last book of the series, Mostly Harmless, right now! He's such a goofball writer.

Susan said...

Hmmm, I like this idea!

Thanks for the good reports! Keep it up. I'll be looking for more. I think I'll have to read vicariously for now, as my life only permits scripture reading time for now!

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, you two are very cute.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Sarah C. said...

That is cute. You're right.

Diana said...

so cute. It reminds me of Rory and Jess on GG.
But of course you two are way way cuter!

Denise said...

Sarah absolutely LOVED Hunger Games and is on a waiting list at the library for the next book in the series. Way to keep your siblings immersed in good literature! Now, if we could only do something about John's English reading assignment. . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...