1.27.2010

more quasi-adulthood



One of the things I need to do to better secure my place in the quasi-adult world is to find a job, a real job, a career (gasp!). So I went to the career fair on campus today.


Armed with my Viva Glam V lip gloss and a stack of resumes, I made my way to the Wilkinson Center Ballroom and entered the crazy hubbub of recruiters and students.


The thing about editing is that it's not limited to magazines and publishing houses; many companies' HR departments have editors who work on their literature and other such things. However, these companies, when they come recruiting, don't always advertise for those kinds of jobs: they promote their engineering, accounting, and programming positions, not their HR editors. I went around to several booths and got to state, "Hi, I'm Charlotte. What is your company?" And then I'd say, "I'm an editor. Is there anywhere I'd fit in your business?" Sometimes the answer was no, but I got a few brochures and handed out a resume or two. If anything, I felt more proactive and less scared about impending "real life."


And you know, if all else fails, at least I have Kraft, the maker of my all-time favorite college food. I'm glad to have a back-up plan.

2 comments:

michelle said...

Charlotte, that lip gloss photo! Oh my.

Jill said...

I find job hunting very frustrating and feel like my skills don't fit into any specific job title, there has to be a better way to find a good fit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...