6.20.2010

father's day 2010

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to say about my dad today. He's a wonderful man, a good man. He's a teacher. All throughout my life, he's taught me of God, of prayer, of hard work, of faith, of the Atonement, and of love (not to mention the pop quizzes in the car on classic blues and rock). Most importantly, however, he's taught me who I am and what I can be.

Something that I've most appreciated throughout my life and especially in the past year is the confidence my father has is me. He trusts me and my abilities and expects me to do the same. He encourages me to overcome my shortcomings and fulfill my potential. He sees my potential often more clearly than I can. He trusts me and my judgment, and I wish I could adequately express how much that confidence strengthens, supports, and builds me. My dad's love for me empowers me and exemplifies the love my Heavenly Father and His Son have for me. Because my earthly father loves me as he does, I know my Heavenly Father loves me. My dad, along with my mom, taught me who I am and to never doubt that.

I'm getting married in two months, and I know that this affects not only myself but also my family. I want my dad to know that because of his goodness I made the decision to marry Josh, that his example showed me what to value and look for in a spouse. In two months I'll be a Wilson, but I can still be a Wood girl, his girl. Forever.

Happy Father's Day, Dad. I love you so much.

5 comments:

emily said...

What a great tribute for our wonderful dad. I love this! I love you!

Denise said...

Love this. Love it! Love him. Love you.

Susan said...

You're Dad's the man! But then, I guess that's what this day is all about, isn't it?!

Great tribute and perfect expression. I love it!

michelle said...

I love the way you've identified what your father has done for you. His trust and confidence in you is a great gift!

Kathy B. said...

*sniff sniff* That was so beautiful! You are both lucky to have each other!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...