6.04.2010

a little too green

I've been able to slip into the groove of things here at Church magazines pretty easy. The employees here treat me like a real writer and editor, and I appreciate that approach. Because I'm treated like not an intern (you know, "Make 10 copies, thanks") I've tried to step up to the plate and act legitimate. When I took the initiative to make a reservation with the Church motor pool and went downstairs to check out the car I needed to get to my interview yesterday afternoon, I was ready to go. I clacked down the parking garage in my black, patent leather heels and checked out the car.

And then I couldn't figure out where it was parked.

So I went back to the worker at the motor pool window and he printed out the sheet that I should have printed out that had my parking space on it. I successfully found the car, put my stuff in the seat next to me, and got ready to go.

And I couldn't figure out how to start the car.

Really.

I saw a "power" button where the key usually goes, so I press that, and then I think that the key must go somewhere else in the car, that it's the key–power button combination that makes it work.

Nothing.

I spent 15 minutes—15 minutes—trying to figure out how to turn on that stupid car. (I would say "damned" car, but this is a Church vehicle we're talking about.)

And so I have to go back to the guy at the window and explain how I can't figure out how to start my car. Good grief. Here I was feeling all professional and legitimate and now I feel like I have a giant neon sign sticking out of my head that says "WARNING: INTERN."

It turns out that the car I was assigned was a hybrid car, and because it's so progressive and green, you don't turn a key. The key fob just has to be in the car somewhere. I was right in pressing the power button, but I neglected to press the brake while I did so. So props to the Church for going green on us, but I'm thinking I'm a little too green when it comes to environmentalism.

7 comments:

Claire said...

I had a former roommate who had a stereo with an alarm that we could not turn off. We once spent an hour or so with the manual trying to do so. All we figured out how to do was change the time the alarm went off. So at least you were stymied by something way more technological and "eco friendly" than a stereo.

Jill said...

How funny! I wouldn't have known how to start the car either.

paws said...

Good hell indeed!

Daniel said...

Too green: you? or the car?

That sounds like something that would happen to me, especially during an attempt to seem competent and individual in a new job. Take solace in knowing that now I know how to start a hybrid power-button-starty car in case I need to an no one is around to tell me. Thanks for your sacrifice.

m.estelle said...

i like is when you say things like "good hell" and "damned car" ...so sue me.

charlotte. this is something that would happen to me in real life. but don't even worry about it. you are awesome. and still very professional and legitimate in my book. duh.

love you
e

Susan said...

Oh,my! This sounds a bit too frustrating for me...a little like I feel when my stupid laptop suddently won't drag photos, or take off italics! What the?!

You go, girl.

michelle said...

Hee! I would have been completely clueless. Thanks for educating the masses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...