12.16.2013

for when I need a Pensieve

If you don't know what a Pensieve is then you need to read Harry Potter right now. But really, bookmark this post and get on Amazon. Right now. And then you'll have thorough knowledge of the Pensieve.



So, you're back from reading all of Harry? Great. So by now you know that the Pensieve is that nifty tool of Dumbledore's that he uses to guide and organize his thoughts. As Dumbledore himself puts it, "One simply siphons the excess thoughts from one's mind, pours them into the basin [Pensieve], and examines them at one's leisure. It becomes easier to spot patterns and links, you understand, when they are in this form."

If I had a Pensieve hanging around my bedroom, I would take a moment and extract all my half-collected thoughts about what I still need to do for Christmas: what I still need to buy, to make, and to send. I think it would be so much easier to make decisions about what projects to abandon and which to stick to if I could gaze at them all in the Pensieve.

Then I would tackle everything related to our Christmas trip. Last night I spent a solid hour making to-do lists and packing lists and figuring out the calendar this week. Then Josh surprised me by taking Friday off as well, so now I'll have a minion husband to help me with cleaning and toddler duty. Every time I travel now, I'm overwhelmed by all that I have to remember to bring for the boy. It's insane. Pensieve, where are you when I need you?

Then I'd siphon off all my 2014 resolutions so I could examine them when my world calms down a little. I think I'll actually have a list of goals this year, and I can't remember the last time I approached a new year that way.

If I had time after all that rigmarole of Pensieve-ing, I'd revisit some old Christmas memories, remembrances of what it was like to believe in Santa, that year we announced we were pregnant, the year we spent in Canada, the year we were snowed in, the last year with my Grandma. That would be nice.

So. Clearly I need a Pensieve stat. And whoever gets on that, can you figure out apparition too? That would be great.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...