5.25.2010

Operation Superhuman Reader: Route 801, #3 and Long-Distance Book Club

I read this one on Josh's recommendation and quite enjoyed discussing it with him during and after reading it. He's currently reading The Road, per my request. Our next book to read together: The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1) Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I didn't know what to expect from this book, mainly because I'm not a huge sci-fi buff and this book has a cult following of sorts. I ended up really enjoying this book, though. The plot was easy to follow and quite compelling. I think what I found the most intriguing was Ender's character development. He's only six years old when the book starts, but he's a complex and conflicted character. His motives are simple yet they make for a complicated character. The character dynamics in Ender's Game are thought-provoking and sometimes disturbing.

I was a little taken aback by the ending, because I was under the impression that all the other Ender's Game books were sequels rather than companion novels. That aside, however, I liked the ending and thought it was a strong way to end the novel. I'd recommend this to teenagers for sure and to adults who want a quick read that has depth.

View all my reviews >>

4 comments:

Claire said...

I'm excited for you to read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I'm reading right now and enjoying it!

Jill said...

We read this for book club a long time ago and I was surprised by how much I liked it.

paws said...

I had no idea what this book was about when I picked it up, but it's one of my favorites. I was so surprised by the ending.

michelle said...

I liked this book much more than I thought I would, as well. Max enjoyed it, too. I love that you guys are reading books together, that is just cute.

Loved Edgar Sawtelle!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...