5.20.2010

wedding plans: the dress

So I realized that I haven't really posted any wedding plans, even though the wedding plans are well underway. Let me start with the most fun detail: the dress.

I have one.

I love it.

Love. it.

When we first started planning for the wedding, Mom and I thought that perhaps Mom would make my dress. I was thinking a knee-length dress—a formal, fancy, twirly sundress almost, something doable for Mom's busy schedule. We decided to go dress shopping anyway, mainly because it would be fun, and that was something wedding-y we could do over graduation weekend with my soon-to-be in-laws. And because we thought Mom would make my dress, I went into the dress shopping experience feeling no pressure.

We came across several no-gos. (All photos courtesy of Michelle.)

This one:

And this one:

("I can fly, I can fly, I can fly!"—Wendy, Peter Pan)

We were all quite taken with this gem:

Perhaps we could give the wedding a Quinceanera theme?

This one was a legitimate contender (I love the ivory—mother-in-law's idea):

Can you see the elaborate beading?

I loved the pleats and beading on the back.

The train was also quite elaborate.

That was one of two dresses I tried on twice. The pretty beaded one was in the running, but I really fell in love with this one (and also tried it on twice):


Here's a close-up of the bodice:

It's detailed but simple with just enough beading without being too Disney-princess-y. The skirt is simple but elegant without a giant train.

I bought it. Right there. I didn't need to look anywhere else, and now Mom doesn't have to make one. 

Sidenote: I don't think I'll have a veil. Instead, Michelle and I want to recreate this (a $90 headpiece at the bridal store):

I was watching TLC's "Yes to the Dress" last night and one of the brides tried on a dress and said, "I can picture myself marrying so-and-so." That's how I felt with this dress. I looked in the mirror and felt completely myself and thought of Josh and how much I want to marry him. I thought, "I can picture myself marrying Josh."

So I am.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Your dress is beautiful! I can't wait to see it on your wedding day. I also can't wait to see you next weekend for your bridal shower!

Hannah Holt said...

So beautiful! Glad you found the one you love (and the dress too).

Joanna Galbraith said...

I LOVE IT!!!! Oh my gosh, you are going to looks so beautiful!!

Marla said...

Love the dress you chose! Gorgeous!

Jill said...

How wonderful that you found your perfect dress even though you weren't really trying to find it! I'm sure it's a huge load off your mom even though she would have loved to make your dress (she's a busy lady!).

Diana said...

love your dress. what a fun time to go dress shopping especially without pressure

Susan said...

Perfectly beautiful!

April said...

Emily showed me a picture right after you bought it and I loved it right away. You look amazing and it is beautiful, I am so excited for you!!!

paws said...

That looks great on you. Good choice!

michelle said...

Love it! But my favorite part is the very end of this post. So sweet.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...