5.08.2010

the reigning Charlotte

When my grandma passed away a little over a month ago, my mom gave me a pair of her old shoes (I'm the only one besides Sarah who can fit into them). As she handed them to me she said, "You're the reigning Charlotte now. You should have these."


What a responsibility, to be the reigning Charlotte. Did my own mother know what a mantle she was placing on my shoulders as she named me after her mother? I think she did. I've often reflected throughout my life on what it means to be named after such an incredible and inspired woman, and each time I feel a greater responsibility to live up to her name. While sometimes overwhelming, I think my mother saw in me at birth and continues to see in me now the potential I have to be great, potential that often escapes my understanding.


Grandma was a significant and strong presence throughout my entire childhood, and I've witnessed how she continued to be a mother, even when her children were grown and created families of their own. I will forever be indebted to my grandmother for many reasons, but the greatest of which is that she taught my mom how to be a mother. I want my mother to know that I see in her all of Grandma's finest and most Christlike qualities. Denise Wood is truly, in every way, a daughter of Charlotte Petersen.


As I approach this new chapter of my life and my upcoming marriage, I feel prepared. Through example my mother and grandmother and aunts and cousins have taught me how to be a wife and how to be a mother. They taught me how to love unconditionally and how to live the gospel. They taught me how to allow Christ and his atonement to define me and my life. In making the decision to marry, I've felt the weight and significance of this choice. Marriage is not to be approached lightly, and I recognize its sacredness. I revere marriage and womanhood because of the women in my life. My mother (along with my stalwart father) has taught me everything most important in my life and will continue to do so as I become a wife to Josh and eventually a mother to my own children.


Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I don't have much to give you this year, but I can be the reigning Charlotte. I fear I'll fall short of the calling, but as a granddaughter to your mother and a daughter to you, I hope and pray that throughout my life I will always live in such a way that brings honor to my name.


I love you.

4 comments:

jt said...

I love it! I echo everything you said. (And quite literally- read my post I also wrote last night. We said a lot of the same things. We are totally on the same wave length.)I am proud of you for being the reigning CHarlotte and while it is quite a mantle to carry, you are well-suited for the task. I love you, and you are a fine example to me. Yay for Petersen women!!! And the UN (remember that?) for us writing these complementary posts.

michelle said...

It is quite a weighty responsibility indeed to be the reigning Charlotte.

I love all of your thoughts here, but what strikes me most is that you feel prepared to begin your journey as a wife and mother because of the examples of your mother and Grandma. I can't imagine that many young women can say that.

I just don't know how I got so lucky to be associated with and related to all of these amazing Petersen women!

Denise said...

A post like this is the best Mother's Day gift a mother could wish for! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you, and I thank you for continuing to bring honor to your namesake. After all, you are the reigning Charlotte now.

Susan said...

sniff, sniff.

Enough said! Carry on, reigning one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...