5.07.2010

Operation Superhuman Reader: Route 801

I'll be spending about three hours a day on the bus commuting to and from Salt Lake this summer, three hours I can often fill with reading. I plan on getting much of my summer reading completed this way, and I started with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This was a great book with which to begin my summer reading and helped distract me a little from missing Josh and my family. If you're looking for a light and entertaining read, try this one!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book was a fun and light read. I liked the characters, and once I got used to the letter format of narration I found it refreshing. I learned a lot about the Occupation in the British Isles and found the narrative endearing and simultaneously educational. At first I didn't think that the letter narration would be as effective for me, but I found that I came to know the characters in different ways from how I might have otherwise. I also found it fascinating how characters like Dawsey and Mark could be such a vital part to the story without having written many (if any in Mark's case) letters. The authors were creative and innovative, telling a story in a unique and engaging way.

This was a great way to start my summer reading!

View all my reviews >>

3 comments:

Hannah Holt said...

I also enjoyed this book. The characters were so delightful. Plus, I learned a little history. Bonus.

Sarah C. said...

I am in town until the first of June. Maybe we could go to dinner or a movie or something before I head out? Yes? Please?

michelle said...

I really liked this one.

Hooray for a comfy bus and guaranteed reading time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...