5.04.2010

Portland: Powell's City of Books

I spent all of last week in Portland, Oregon, with Josh and his parents, and it was lovely. I'll give various accounts of my visit and will start with the best one: Powell's Books. First of all, this bookstore (which also sells used books) is one-of-a-kind Portland treat: four floors, nine rooms, endless opportunities for bibliophile dream fulfillment. Whoa.

This photo is merely a drop in the Powell's bucket.


As you can clearly see, Powell's houses enough magic on its own; trust Josh to increase that magic exponentially.

We had drifted to a corner surrounded by windows that looked out on downtown Portland. I was casually flipping through a book and turned around to see Josh on one knee. He proposed right here:

We were in a quieter area of the store (the Purple Room), so there wasn't anybody around, and I liked it that way. Then I could kiss him all I wanted without anyone watching. Funny side note: Josh seriously contemplated popping the question in the gay and lesbian aisle and probably would have were it not for a patron in that section. He settled for the political section, and while not too romantic, to me it's a romantic section now.

It was a good thing I had a list of books I wanted to check out, because otherwise the book browsing would have been thoroughly unsuccessful for being unable to look away from the sparkle on my finger.

Afterward we went out to this really nice restaurant for lunch and had the most delicious chipotle rotisserie chicken sandwiches.

For my first trip (first of very, very many) to Powell's City of Books I came out with six books, one wedding magazine, and an official, unhypothetical fiance.

Josh Wilson proposed to me, Charlotte Wood, in a bookstore. It was absolutely perfect. Perfect.

9 comments:

Denise said...

Couldn't be more perfect! I, for one, am very glad to not be planning a "hypothetical" wedding any longer.

Shiny said...

Im not gonna lie, that is pretty ingenious!

Hannah Holt said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! I love it, and I love Powell's books! How perfect! Hold on, I haven't use enough exclamation points yet!!!!!! Ah, that's better.

Claire said...

I could not think of a better place for you to get engaged in! Right before I read the part where Josh got down on one knee I thought perhaps he had managed to sneak the ring into the book you were reading. That would have been pretty cool.

m.estelle said...

i love this. so much. and i love that my link has been added to the family section. gosh, i'm excited.

xoxoxo
e

Pamski said...

PERFECT!

Diana said...

Just perfect for you Miss Charlotte Wood soon to be Mrs. Josh Wilson :)

Sarah C. said...

Congrats, doll. Truly.

michelle said...

"Endless opportunities for bibliophile dream fulfillment." That is just about the perfect description of Powell's! Man, I love that place.

Now that I see what Josh had up his sleeve, I can't really hold it against him for waiting so long! Good thinking, man.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...