5.06.2010

Portland: Japanimation

While in Portland we had a handful of Japan-themed experiences (Josh served his LDS mission in Sapporo, Japan). First we went to Uwajimaya, a Japanese market in Beaverton. This establishment sells authentic Japanese (and other Asian) food products, and even has a little Japanese bookstore in the back. While I can recognize the appeal of this store for Josh, many items did not strike my fancy. Like this:

Dried squid. Yes, squid.
Or this:

Octopus tentacles.

One of the reasons Josh likes this place is that he has a chance to practice his Japanese skills. At one point, though, he approached an employee, asked a question in Japanese, and was promptly (and curtly) informed by the employee that "I do not speak Japanese." Okay, then.

Josh picked out several ingredients to make an authentic Japanese dish to make the next night for dinner (I can't remember the name of the meal, though). However, this dish did include this:

Tofu.
See how thrilled I am?

Josh spent about an hour cooking his meal, and you know what? I didn't mind the tofu. I mean, it's not my most favorite thing ever, but if I ate it with real food, I didn't really notice the texture.

The next night we went out to eat at a nice Japanese restaurant with some of the Wilsons' family friends, and yes, dear readers, I ate sushi. I had only two bites, but I liked them. At first Josh gave me the option of trying a bite of either squid or eel. Next, please. I had bites of both salmon and yellow tail. And I approved.

To top off our Japan-themed adventures, we watched the film Princess Mononoke. Yes, it's an anime film. Josh likes a handful of anime movies, and I watch them with him. Usually we watch them in Japanese and I have to read the subtitles, but this time, we watched in English, and I think that helped me like it more than others we've watched. I'll be honest, anime is not my preferred film genre, but I'll watch with Josh. I mean, the man will video chat with me in the wee hours of the morning. That's worth a lot of anime in my book.

7 comments:

michelle said...

Your last two sentences are so sweet! You're right, that is worth a lot of anime. Or at least some.

My boys love those Japanese anime films like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, etc. They're a bit weird for me, but to each his own.

I'm impressed that you tried sushi!

jt said...

Wow. So much for you Chottle. (Shottle?) I can't blame you with the anime, for sure. Timm is also into it. Those octopus tentacles super creep me out. Not so keen on the dried squid either.
Look how your horizons are broadening!

Kathy B. said...

I'm also not in love with sushi. Scott loves it, and I've tried but I think that until they can make it "scent-less" I won't be a big fan! Scott is headed to japan for a tripwith his dad in a couple of days. I'm excited for him, but again, not really my thing:)

Denise said...

True love knows no bounds. Now maybe we can get Josh to get you to like home-canned peaches!

Claire said...

Squid sushi is actually quite good! It has a nice but mild flavor and it's not rubbery or gross. You should try some next time you go to Namikos.

michelle said...

I am cracking up over your mom's comment!

Shilah said...

I didn't know you didn't like sushi! Usually the very next step in Craig and I making friends is inviting them out to sushi. Eel is my most favorite food in the world. Are you against all sea food or just the creepy kind? We'll have to make sure we don't get too nerdy with Josh talking about Japanese things... =]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...