So, naturally, my goal for the weekend was to recreate it.
Friday night I made the gingerbread dough (from scratch).
And the dough chilled overnight.
Saturday I used the templates I printed to cut out the pieces, and I baked them.
Then I melted sugar into caramel so I could make windows.(This is my favorite aspect of the house.)
Sunday I whipped up some royal icing and decorated the pieces. I should have mixed the icing until it was more firm, because my envisioned crisp, intricate designs turned out looking more like a lumpy cartoon.
Today I glued it all together. And you know, it doesn't look like Martha's. But that's okay. (Also, I don't plan on eating this--it was purely a crafting endeavor.) The pieces warped a bit in the drying, and the caramel glue was messy. The royal icing pooled, and the detailing was a little sloppy.
But I love it. And I'm going to do it again next year.