3.18.2010

a senioritis paper

Believe it or not, this setup--movie, Big Gulp, and popcorn--is for a big research assignment.


For my senior capstone class I'm required to write a 15- to 20-page research paper. Not feeling too motivated for this assignment, several weeks ago I settled on a topic that would prove engaging while still leaving room for some senioritis. My thesis: As a culture, we subconsciously recognize the practical use of the fantastic [the uncertainty between real and unreal] and harness it through television and film, penetrating our own psyches and asking the haunting questions that pertain to life, death, and the very nature of our being.

Once put through a senioritis filter this reads: I came up with a topic that has simultaneous academic validity and entertainment value. About half of my research is watching and taking notes on select episodes of "House," select episodes of "The X-Files," Just Like Heaven, and The Prestige. My professor thinks this is a great topic and looks forward to seeing where my research takes me. After having refined my argument and research a little more, I'm actually excited about this topic. A lot. It combines my class subject with something I legitimately enjoy, pop culture. I'll be leaving college on an academic and research triumph, I believe.

Finally after 18 or so years of continual formal education, I can say, "Yes, Mom, I can watch TV before finishing my homework because watching TV is my homework."

6 comments:

emilymcb said...

Twins! For my senior paper, I'm watching like 20 movies!

Daniel said...

Best. Homework. Ever.

michelle said...

Brilliant.

Denise said...

I can't argue with that!

Mark said...

How do you determine the selected episodes of House and X-Files? (I was a little curious in your sudden Mulder/Scully interest.)

Jill said...

You're a clever girl to come up with such a scheme...I mean topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...