3.31.2010

grandma

She tickled my back after dinner.
If I didn't like the dessert she'd make another one just for me (even though I'm 22).
We'd have chats at bedtime instead of stories.
She said it was okay to pray over cakes I bake.
And if those cakes didn't turn out, she said it's okay to throw them.
She owned several white blouses.
She was always "pretty good for an old person."
Even though she couldn't see for the last few years, she always said I looked beautiful.
Whenever I'd dye my hair dark brown, she called me her "Indian princess." I never understood why, really.
We talked about books.
Yabba dabba dabba dabba dabba dabba dabba said the monkey to the chimp.
I had her number memorized by the time I was five.
I'm her namesake and am honored, though inadequate, to be so.
I've always been Little Charlotte.
I wish I could always be Little Charlotte, because if I were always Little Charlotte, there would always be an Older Charlotte around.
Someday I can be Little Charlotte again.


But not today.

11 comments:

Karen said...

I'm sorry! Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Miranda said...

I've been thinking of you and your family Charlotte. Your grandmother is an amazing woman and this is a beautiful tribute to her. I'll always think of her when I bake a cake...and when I throw one.

Ande said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! Even though I don't know you I was genuinely happy you had such a great grandma and sad you are feeling her loss today. But what a beautiful post.

Diana said...

oh Charlotte, I'm sorry. I'm sending you a hug.

Claire said...

I think Grandma was the first person that I specifically remember who did not make me eat all the vegetables on my plate. I was pretty surprised and it only strengthened the knowledge that she was a wonderful Grandma.

crystal said...

I came over from Michelle's blog to offer my condolences for the loss of your cute Grandmother.

{hugs} from a complete stranger who sees you on Michelle's blog from time to time.

paws said...

I'm so sorry, Charlotte. As wonderful as it is to acknowledge all the lives she has blessed, it doesn't make it hurt less, especially for those who loved her best.

Jill said...

You are all so blessed to have her as your grandmother!

Pamski said...

Love you Charlotte...you'll always be little Charlotte!

michelle said...

I love that even she was tempted to throw cakes from time to time.

I always got a kick out of her telling me I was beautiful, and knew it had very little to do with her physical eyesight.

Coming from someone who lived on the Indian reservation and loved Native American art and stories, I'd say that "Indian Princess" was a pretty great term of endearment.

I loved loved sharing book suggestions with Grandma.

Hers is the only phone number that's been the same my whole life long.

I can see how sad it would be to not be Little Charlotte again. What a graduation.

Denise said...

I was led to this by one of the "you might like this" widget things, and I really, really, do like it. I've been missing Grandma a lot lately and this tender post--though it brings a tear to my eye--hits the spot.

Love you, Little Charlotte.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...