9.30.2013

day 1: fallen from the lexicon

On the last day before the link-up, I decided to participate in the Nester's 31 Days series. It's simple: write every day for 31 days on one subject. This is daunting but exciting for me. I wasn't planning on participating until today when a wave of inspiration washed over my mind at 6:00 in the morning. I hope that I really will be able to post every day for 31 days, and I dearly hope that I don't bore you. Like, I really, really hope that you stick with me on this as I try something new this month. As always, thanks for reading.




Gracious. It's a word we don't hear too often, a word whose meaning has been lost in the fray of vulgarity and the doctrine of selfishness. How many people could accurately define gracious if put on the spot? My guess is not many. I had a hard time coming up with the words when I asked myself this question. I always knew the feeling of graciousness, but putting words to this word was elusive. 


marked by kindness and courtesy, tact and delicacy
characterized by charm, good taste, and generosity of spirit
archaic meaning: godly

Just as the lexicon has dropped the word, so has the world dropped the virtue. Do you know gracious people? Is graciousness outdated and unimportant today? Or is there still a place for it? How does graciousness play out in a real life full of jobs, laundry, and spilled yogurt? 

My plan? To cultivate a gracious spirit in myself and in my family, to wield the banner of courtesy and respect in a world that diminishes refinement.

31 Days of Gracious Living
Day 11: My day
Day 16: Halfway there
Day 21: Weighing in
Day 22: Year three
Day 24: A napless day
Day 27: Living grace
Day 30: A reminder
Day 31: Conclusion

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Love it! Ill stick with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...